Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day 67

We arrived back in Arizona today, northern Arizona that is. We are spending the night at our favorite camping spot on the Navajo Reservation at Cameron.

Cameron is just southeast of the Grand Canyon along Highway 89, in the Painted Desert. Cameron (Navajo: Na'ní'á Hasaní) population is around 968. Most of the town's economy is tourist food and craft stalls, restaurants, and other services for north-south traffic from Flagstaff and Page. The craft stands are operated by local families and are spread out along the road that transverses US 89.

A swayback suspension bridge was erected over the Little Colorado River in 1911 creating the first easy access over the gorge. Soon after, two brothers, Hubert and C.D. Richardson established Cameron Trading Post, visited at that time only by the Navajo & Hopi locals to barter their wool, blankets, & live-stock for dry goods.
The old bridge still stands along side the new bridge that carries US 89 traffic across Little Colorado River.

A trip to the post to trade could take days of travel by horse-drawn wagon. Guests were always treated as family, fed & housed by the trading post during their stay. As traders, the brothers were more than merchants.image Understanding local dialects & customs, they were trusted by the local Native American people in matters concerning confusing new American legal & social systems. Over time as roads improved & interest in the area grew, The Cameron Trading Post’s convenience to the Grand Canyon & other intriguing areas made it popular for other travelers as well.

No comments: