Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 21 – Astoria and Cannon Beach – July 20, 2011


We did a little back tracking today to tale in the sights of Astoria and Cannon Beach Oregon. As it turns out, Astoria was home to many Finns and even has a Finnish District. Many of the businesses bear Finnish names.clip_image002

Our first stop was the Astoria Column that sits high on Coxcomb Hill where one can have a panoramic view of Astoria and the Columbia River.

The markers were the pet project of Ralph Budd, president of the Midwest based Great Northern Railroad.

The Astoria Column was the last of twelve built in the early 1900s between St. Paul, Minnesota and Astoria, Oregon. Ralph wanted to properly salute America’s early explorers and settlers.


Town of Astoria and Columbia River as seen from the top of the Astoria Column


Indian Burial Canoe


We also visited the Columbia River Maritime Museum. No pictures were allowed in the museum.

Retired Columbia River Lighthouse Ship

Our next stop was Cannon Beach. Cannon Beach was originally named Ecola, after the creek that empties into the Pacific Ocean to the north of the city. In 1922, it was renamed Cannon Beach at the insistence of the Post Office Department as the name was frequently confused with Eola. Cannon Beach is the beach adjacent to the town. The beach received its name after a cannon washed ashore from one of the many ship wrecks in the area.

Cannon Beach is its well-known landmark, Haystack Rock, located southwest of downtown Cannon Beach. This igneous rock has a height of 235 feet. Near Haystack Rock are the Needles, two tall rocks rising straight out of the water.

Haystack Rock and the Needles at Cannon Beach

No comments: